Welcome to Path to Coaching Module 1, Professional Coaching Competencies. This is a Scrum Alliance® Labs program built to help deliver the competencies needed by Agile Coaches who want to broaden and deepen their skill and awareness.
Audience: Existing and aspiring agile coaches, including Scrum Masters, who want to broaden and deepen their coaching skills and awareness.
Note: This is NOT a certification program.
This course is worth 5 SEU credits.
LEARNING COMPETENCY OBJECTIVES
Chapter 1 - Transformational Questions
- 1.1.1 Coach asks clear, direct, primarily open-ended questions, one at a time, at a pace that allows for thinking and reflection by the client.
- 1.1.2 Coach’s questions are not leading, i.e. do not contain a conclusion or direction.
- 1.1.3 Coach's questions are primarily transformational rather than transactional focused
Chapter 2 - Direct Communication
- 1.2.1 Coach’s language is generally clear and concise.
- 1.2.2 The coach allows the client to do most of the talking.
- 1.2.3 Coach allows the client to complete speaking without interrupting unless there is a stated coaching purpose to do so.
- 1.2.4 Coach shares observations, intuitions, comments, thoughts, and feelings to serve the client’s learning or forward movement.
- 1.2.5 Coach shares observations, intuitions, comments, thoughts and feelings without any attachment to them being right.
- 1.2.6 Coach uses the client’s language or language that reflects the client’s way of speaking.
Chapter 3 - Coaching Agreement
- 1.3.1 Coach helps the client identify, or reconfirm, what s/he wants to accomplish
- 1.3.2 Coach helps the client to define or reconfirm measures of success
- 1.3.3 Coach explores what is important or meaningful to the client about what s/he wants to accomplish
- 1.3.4 Coach helps the client define what the client believes they need to address or resolve in order to achieve what s/he wants to accomplish
- 1.3.5 Coach continues towards the client's stated outcomes unless the client expresses otherwise
- 1.3.6 Coach develops a coaching relationship agreement as well as a coaching session agreement with the client
Chapter 4 - Developing Trust
- 1.4.1 Coach acknowledges the client’s work in the coaching process.
- 1.4.2 Coach respects the client’s work in the coaching process.
- 1.4.3 Coach expresses support for the client.
- 1.4.4 Coach challenges the client.
- 1.4.5 Coach notices and reflects on client’s progress.
- 1.4.6 Coach holds the client as fully competent, undamaged, resourceful, and not in need of fixing
Chapter 5 - Coaching Presence
- 1.5.1 Coach is observant, empathetic and responsive.
- 1.5.2 Coach exhibits curiosity with the intent to learn more.
- 1.5.3 Coach partners with the client by supporting the client to choose what happens
- 1.5.4 Coach partners with the client by inviting the client to respond in any way to the coach's contributions and accepts the client's response.
- 1.5.5 Coach partners with the client by playing back the client's expressed possibilities for the client to choose from.
- 1.5.6 Coach partners with the client by encouraging the client to formulate his or her own learning.
Chapter 6 - Active Listening
- 1.6.1 Coach’s questions and observations are customized by using what the coach has learned about who the client is and the client’s situation.
- 1.6.2 Coach inquires about or explores the client’s use of language, tone of voice, pace of speech or inflection as appropriate
- 1.6.3 Coach inquires about or explores the client's behaviors.
- 1.6.4 Coach inquires about or explores how the client perceives his/her world.
- 1.6.5 - When appropriate, coach is quiet and gives client time to think.
Chapter 7 - Creating Awareness
- 1.7.1 Coach invites client to state and/or explore his/her learning in the session about her/his situation
- 1.7.2 Coach shares what s/he is noticing about the client and /or the client’s situation, and seeks the client’s input or exploration.
- 1.7.3 Coach invites client to consider how s/he will use new learning from the coaching.
Chapter 8 - Designing Actions, Planning & Goal Setting, Managing Progress and Accountability
- 1.8.1 Coach invites or allows client to explore progress towards what s/he wants to accomplish in the session
- 1.8.2 Coach invites or allows client to explore progress towards the overall goals s/he wants to accomplish
- 1.8.3 Coach assists the client to design what actions/thinking client will do after the session in order for the client to continue moving toward the client's desired outcomes.
- 1.8.4 Coach invites or allows client to consider her/his path forward, including, as appropriate, support mechanisms, resources and potential barriers.
- 1.8.5 Coach assists the client to design the best methods of accountability for her/himself.
Your cart is empty